Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seriously newbie question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

B14speedfreak

Technical User
Mar 23, 2006
Hi Guys,

This is a really simple question, and I know that someone will be able to help me with this in some way. I normally mess round with Oracle stuff, but I have been given the task of configuring some monitoring software called a notication server. Anyhow it uses Apache and Tomcat.

Anyhow I am trying to work out how to deploy a web app. Anyhow the guide says teh following

Copy the war file into the appropriate deployment directory for your particular application or webserver.

Note you may need to run the Administrator tool that enables an application. In production enviroments the Automatic Application Installation feature is usually turned off.

Anyhow I think I have got my .war file in the correct place (/tomcat/webapps/) and having restarted it a number a times its generated some stuff under the webapps dir. However when I try to get to it via my browser, the page just times out.

Any ideas anyone. I think I have to put it into the server.xml file, under the config dir, but having tried this a couple of times, it doesn't seem to want to work.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any posts in advance,

B14... aka... Marky Mark... the frozen monkey in the server room...

what URL are you trying to access ?

All you should need to do is to stop tomcat, copy the war file into the webapps dir, and restart.
Do NOT modify anything under the conf dir unless you know what you are doing, as you are liable to break tomcat.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Yeah Restarting Tomcat, not sure how to do that. I have an appache install ontop of it (I know that tomcat is a build of appache). Anyhow I take it that I need to restart Tomcat and not Appache?

THanks,

Tomcat is not a "build of appache [sic]" ...

To stop Tomcat :

$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh stop

$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start

Thanks I shall have a look.

I am using the url htt://(boxname):(portnumber)/qns/login.jsp

Qns is the folder name under webapps...

Thanks again,

Tomcat is case sensitive.

If you webapp is called "Qns", then accessing a url of "qns" will not work.

sorry yeah, its all lower case. In other words the url I am using is:

I understand this, (I usually mess round with Linux/Solaris), it was just a spelling error on my part whilst in here.

I think that there is something up with the application to be honest. I am having problems with it, the vendors are coming in tommorrow so I guess I will have my answer then.

Thanks the for the help though.

I am interested in Tomcat though, is it a build of appache for deploying web apps with? I understand that Appache is really more just a general webserver, are there are any other differences?

Thanks again for all the help,

Apache HTTPD is a HTTP web server - which is a project of the Apache Foundation, that can server static files (images, html etc), and also has plugins for serving up dynamic content written in perl, php etc.

Jakarta Tomcat is a subproject of the Apache Foundation (but is NOT part of the Apache HTTPD project itself), and is also an HTTP server, but is known as a JSP/Servlet container- because it handles serving up html generated from those server side languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back