Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious reports bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryww

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
US
In my version of Access (2000), CanGrow is turned OFF by default. I have to remember to set it to true on each and every report* ... or play Russian Roulette in guessing whether adequate field widths have been set.

The problem/bug/"feature" is that HIGH ORDER DIGITS ARE DROPPED!! Thus, having CanGrow false in that situation is a deadly effective career KILLER.

So I'm wondering ... is that all there is to it? Do others live in fear like I do, or blindly ignore it! Is there a defensive tactic?

---------
* footnote to above: Nay, every value field on every report!

As far as I know, the can grow parameter controls the vertical dimension of the control only, not the horizontal dimension.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you could set both dimensions programatically, using the "On Format" event. If you do, remmeber that all measurements are in twips. A twip is 1/1440 in!

Thanks for your response but this is still rolling snakeyes.

Yes, when CanGrow is "tripped" it grows vertically, but in so doing it beneficially exposes the high order (that would be clipped off in its absence - i.e. the high order would be unseen without the vertical growth. Thus 1,800 might appear as 800 - or if you're "lucky" as ,800 !

I tried your suggestion in Detail_Format. That may be just what I was searching for, but alas it failed. I used this(error checking is not shown below):

For Each j In Controls
j.CanGrow = True
Next j

and I got error 2448 - you can't assign a value to this object.

Thanks for taking a shot. Can anyone help?

I would suspect the use of a loop. When I go off-line I'll have a look in Access XP to verify that can grow is accessible if you get the control name right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back