Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious Problems joining a Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2001
AU
Hello

I am having major problems trying to get a Win 2K sp1 workstation to join a domain hosted by a Win 2k Server.

We have just one domain server.

I can ping the workstation from the server, and the server from the workstation using both IP and server name.

I can see all the computers in the network under the domain name in Network | Entire Network | MS Windows Network.

I can browse the server without a problem.

The local admin account is the same as the server admin account including password. (This account is a domain admin)

I have added the computer to the list of computers in the Active Directory.

To all intents and purposes the machine is on the network, but if I try and join the domain I just get "The Network location cannot be reached".

The IP address is unique, all the other settings such as DNS, WINS etc have been verified against a PC already on the domain.

Can anyone shed any light, 'cos it is doing my head in!

Thanks in advance

Rob Colborne
---------------
GoldMine Certified Consultant

Make sure the workgroup name on the Win2K Pro machine is NOT the same as the Domain name. Change the workgroup name to workgroup. When done reboot. Then try adding the system to the domain.

Let me know if this hlps. There could be other issues as well (not sure exactly what they would be) James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hi

Unfortunately that is not the issue as the workgroup is different.

Check if "Admin" and "IPC" folders are shared in your DC, (with "$").

Good luck!!

I have checked the IPC and Admin are share in Computer management of the DC and they are both present. From the workstation I can open \\server\admin$ without a problem.

I can't open \\server\ipc$ but then I don't think you are should be able to anyway?!

Thanks

Rob

This really does sound like DNS to me. I know you have checked DNS configuration but there could be other related problems.

Check Netsetup.log in winnt/debug directory
Run netdiag (from resource kit) this will run many checks many DNS related on your client - look for errors in log.
Check DNS records on your DNS server - is these an incorrect entry for the workstation - if so deregister/register.

Check DNS with NSlookup - lookup DC name and workstation from server - although netdiag does most of these checks for you.

DNS problem seems to be only solution here (I could be wrong though :) ) Ip address could be being resolved through broadcast, wins or hosts file but AD must have information through DNS.

Hope these steps give you a clue !!!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back