Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious Help needed! ERROR 3633 on DAO Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catrina

Programmer
Feb 11, 2000
US
I am using VB 6.0 with SP4 connecting to an Access 2000 database. I am trying to install my application on a Win95 machine

The application is from the MS Website Q183638 HowTo Create A Custom Text File Import Routine. It uses DAO to connect to the database. The application works perfectly on my machine, but when compiled and packaged, I get the error "3633" when installing and attempting to run on the Win95 machine.

I have included Mdac_Type.exe in the installation, and DCOM98 has been installed on the machine.(article Q191704 said that DCOM98 could be installed on both Win95 and Win98 machines, I haven't tried DCOM95).

I searched the MS website and found "Q174488 PRB: Application Generates RunTime Error 3633 When Run on New Machine". It says to reference the Dao 3.5 Object Library, but I need 3.6 in order to use Access 2000. The article also says that certain dlls must be included, so I tried adding them (MSJET35.dll, VBAJet32.dll etc), still same error. When looking at my dlls, I noticed I have MSJET40.dll etc, so I tried those, but still same error.

Has anyone else come across this? What am I not referencing or including in the setup to make this application run?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have been working on this for 2 days!!

Catrina

Catrina,
I know that Win 95 and Win 98 are really flaky operating systems though they are 32 bit systems. If you have access to a Win NT(either workstation or server will do) try implementing your application there with the DAO dlls you are using. If you still face a problem(as similar), I would recommend you to go the Windows 2000 way. That should surely work.

Let me know what you did.

Try to make seprate Installation packages to 95,98, Nt and 2000 platforms. Then install your application according to operating System.
Hope this works for you.
Kerti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back