Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious Explorer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBlunt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2001
When we boot our machine up, Dr Watson reutrns an error in Explorer.exe and shuts it down. Windows boots it back up immediatly, causing Dr Watson to shut it down again, and starting a vicous cycle that can only be stoped by shutting down Explorer before Dr Watson can get to it.
Previously, I was poking around in the display control panel, instructing a custome how to change to a higher resolution, and the canceled the operation. Upon exiting, I noticed that the top row of my desktop icons was missing, so I attempted to arrange them with the "arrange icons" command. Then this started happening.
Any thoughts?

Using Win2k Pro, no sp's.

Doc

Have you tried booting onto safe mode and then readjusting the Video settings?

While in safe mode, you may also wish to disable "auto reboot" in Startup and Recovery, under the advanced tab of system properties. The dump may give you some insight to the system failure.

Also, Check your event logs to find more information on the cause of your system failure.

Get back to us. -md

Actually, being in safe mode doesnt help. It does it anyway. This makes it frustratingly hard to find anything, although programs can be run through a command prompt, or a renamed version of explorer, which doesn't crash for some reason, nor does it operate the desktop. I can't even get to my event logs. But an idea has struck me, so I'll give it a shot come tomorrow morning, when I'm back in.
Thanks.

When right clicking on my cd or cdrw drives in "My Computer"
Explorer.exe reports a program error and shuts down. It only happens with these drives. Works fine on A and C.
I was trying to create a cd project with CD Creator from Roxio which was of more than one CD so I needed to see how much space each CD used.
I am not sure if the error started after I did a bug fix for the ROXIO s/w or after some of the MS Updates were applied.
Explorer does show me the files on the CD if I double click the drive so it seems to function correctly in all other aspects.
Device manager lists them correctly and will show properties but not the space used/available as I need.
Weird. Just weird.

Perhaps you can find a solution for your problem on the thread 616-175431
Good luck, VHV

Success!! After due dilligence I found the offending s/w application causing my problem. There was a piece of software that came with my new Sony CDRW called B's Gold. It was for making audio CDs. After removing this ap all has gone back to normal. My system is running IE6 and SP2 including all patches without issues. Before beginning the process of removing service packs and internet exploder I noticed a common thread of people running photoshop. I did not have this ap but began to evaluate what I did have. Ghost explorer was my first suspicion but it was not the issue. I began looking at other explorer like functioning s/w and the Bs Gold was my next chioce. I hope this helps everyone else. Thread # 616175431 had alot of variety and although it did not have the specific problem that I had it gave me the overall view I was needing. Thank you to all who posted and replied. Teamwork always helps share the pain.

I am looking for the thread 616-175431 I cant find it in the search feature. Can someone send me the link

BLB[elephant2] - Always Grateful
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting at your side saying, "Boy - didn't we have fun?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back