Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious Database/Access corruption problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

karassik

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
US
Well I hope someone else has had this issue, though I really wish it on no one.

I am using Access 2000 and have built a pretty sizable DB that is split, with four different FEs on personal networked boxes and the BE on the Server. This has worked beautifully for quite some time as I have made multiple changes to the Design Master and pushed them out.

I ran into a problem when I created a new form based on another form I had. It worked on all the boxes as I left the office, though the next day I came in and it gave me a ?Name in the calculated cells in the form. Also I created an internal button to close it and a bunch of other VB stuff that wouldn't work. When I tried to sycronize the working Design Master with the non-working replicas the Design Master became corrupt. Then I tried to delete the problem form from the Design Master I got, "you tried to commmit a rollback transaction without first beginning a transaction.". I thought I might try an experiment and create a new database and import all data other than the corrupt form. When I opened the forms in the "New" database I couldn't get any VB action (slight variation on the Rolling Stones). Not only no VB action, but more seriously I couldn't close the form or Access itself!@ Now I can delete the problem form but it doesn't go away until I go to another area then come back to forms. When I go to save it gives me a "Save Operation Failed".

I scanned my computer with Norton anti-virus 2002 to no avail.

My next approach after this is to reload Office...

Anyone?

Thanks,

Nishan

Nishan

Simple first, have you Compacted and Repaired?

Next, I assume this is a replica?

If so check Microsoft.com for info on replication there is a white paper there at least.

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Yes it is set to compact and repair.

It was a replica.

And I solved it by again creating a new DB linking the tables and then importing everything that wasn't corrupt. Interestingly, the first two times I tried this I tried to import everything from a replica. Somehow this made Access unusable...it wouldn't let me do anything not even close. No errors nothing.

Nishan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back