Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SerialPort Empty Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodingHero

Programmer
Oct 26, 2009
US
I'm using the SerialPort class to help simplify communications between a PC GUI and an external embedded device I'm working on. My main form is subscribed to the data receive event (SerialDataReceived) of the SerialPort class so I can process messages asynchronously. I've noticed that I occasionally get a "zero length packet" even though I've set a minimum receive threshold of two bytes. Setup code is as follows:
Code:
mySerialPort = new SerialPort("COM1", 115200, Parity.None, 8, StopBits.One);
mySerialPort.DataReceived += new SerialDataReceivedEventHandler(mySerialPort_DataReceived);
mySerialPort.ReceivedBytesThreshold = 2;

I suppose this isn't an out-and-out problem, as I can just examine the BytesToRead property of the SerialPort and discard a zero length message, but does anyone know what would cause this to occur?

As some added information, my embedded device is actually connected via USB, but identifies as a virtual COM port using the usbser.sys driver that ships with Windows XP. Perhaps it's just a bug with that but I haven't seen anything searching Google to confirm or deny that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back