Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial To TCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

darfnut

Programmer
Dec 16, 2011
US
Hello,

Sorry, bit of a TCP noob here.

I have been presented with Serial To TCP connector that I now have to copy a binary file over. Our hardware guy says it is the same as serial. Thus my issue. I can login, telnet and all is fine. How do I copy a binary file from local to remote? I assume I need to prepare the remote for the file transfer ( name of file, size, type ), and then stream the data over. When it is finished send an EOF. How do I achieve this when I am at this low level?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

d

Could you send a link to the exact model of Serial converter you are using for better understanding? Or at least post the make and model of it?

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Using the WIZnet Serial-to-Ethernet Gateway - WIZ110SR to create the bridge and then there are a plethera of sat modems on the other side ( running linux ).

How are you using this? Through a switch over the local network, directly connected from the WIZ to the computer receiving?

I had a serial to bluetooth converter which allowed me to create virtual Com ports on the receiving machine. Did this come with any software for send/receive? What is the reason for going to Ethernet as opposed to a straight serial cable? What is this for?

It is a custom connection between a mobile device and a sat modem. Serial is working and is fine for everything other than transferring of binary files.

Ok question, how are you aware that the serial is set up correctly? Assuming you had a laptop onsite and connected it up w/ a serial cable and it was able to transfer files it was deemed ok.

Does the S-E converter require a special pinout? Maybe a Null Modem converter to go with? My Bluetooth one needed one. Has this setup worked before or is it a new installation?

Here is the manual:
It shows it with a CD that has a program for setting up and to assist in data transfer. Might be a good read if you lost the manual or didnt have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back