Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Port "not recognized" fix. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkut

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
US
I have been running a device on my P4 laptop with Windows XP successfully for a period of time now. It connects to my serial port identified as com port 1. It uses an external power supply.
Recently, I attempted to run this same device on my P4 desktop computer and also on my daughter's which are essentially the same and also both run the Windows XP OS.
I was not able to get either of these desktop computers to see this device. I forced the comport settings for the serial port to com port 1 in both BIOS and device manager. I even tried uninstalling the modem and other ports on each desktop computer,leaving only the one port (serial com port 1).
No matter what adjustments I made, the device still was not recognized by either of the desktop computers.
At this point, I decided to try a USB to Serial Adapter. I researched them (wanted to make sure that the one I purchased was XP compatable) and bought one, installed the XP software driver that came with it and then rebooted the computer. I connected the device via the USB connection and applied the external power to it. The device was immediately recognized by the desktop computer and ran flawlessly!
I felt that I should share my findings in this case. Possibly they may be of help to someone else.

Thanx for sharing, kput! I am having a similar prob and will try your solution w/ my peripheral.

laurieboo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back