Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Port Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatz13

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
My first post. First of all, thanks for all the great info this site offers. I am an optometrist and have a totally electronic record keeping system , all home made using access and now a 4 machine network. I have some computer experience in programming, but the slow transition from a flat database on one machine to what exists today could not have occured without the info I gleaned from various boards on this site.

Here is my issue. I have a machine which performs an eye test and currently prints the results to paper tape, which we currently then scan into a document scanner. The machine
has two ports labeled data in and data out, and the plugs are 9 pin round . I assume they are serial data ports.
I have no documentation for this machine and I have searched the web to no avail, as newer machines are constantly being designed and marketed. I would like to eliminate this paper tape step by having this machine feed it's data directly to the computer sitting right next to it, in which we input patient history etc.

How do I go about this. Do I just use a serial cable with proper adapters , is there a device needed to interface , and will I do damage to my Pentium 4 by just hotwiring this? Also, how will the data migrate to my access ap, will it act like a keyboard press, do I need drivers?
The machine runs windows XP and Access 2000.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Katz

There is no telling at this point. You could have one of many serial interfaces.
If you were to take covers off and trace the wires/traces (assuming that the connections lead to a board) back to their source might lead you to a 1488 or 1489 chip , in which case you can at least say the voltage levels are 232.
The alternate methods would be to attempt identifying the signals passing between the machine and printer.
In both cases you would need to trace what signals are passing between the machines to figure out what interface protocol is involved.
Then you might have a chance.
Probably won't be simple.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Post the machine's Manufacturer, Model and serial number here.

Thanks for answering.

It is a Topcon Auto Kerato Refractometer Model # KR 7000

Serial # KB 0301

Mike Katz

Try this link:

If you don't find what your looking for, maybe you'll find a contact number to call.

Paper tape has been around a really long time. Don't hear much about it anymore. Maybe they'll still have an old manual around. Since it's geared toward the medical industry, you wouldn't be lucky enough to have standard serial cables and connectors.

Good luck.

Thanks piperent. I had visited that site initially and cant seem to get much more than the output is RS232. I've done some looking around and I believe that I may be dealing with an 8 pin mini DIN connector. I have noticed that other foreign makes ( and macs?) use this connector or did use this at one time for serial communications.

I was thinking of going to a computer supercenter today to see if I can find a connector.

If I do, I guess that I would need a way to test the port and make sure that the proper leads go into my D9.

Then, if I do that, I guess software would be the next issue. I understand that the data may be able to be transfered into hyperterminal?

I have also seen products such as the wedge and mule, but dont want to spend money on them before I'm sure if I can accomplish this

I guess I'll repost after I go to the store today. These challenges keep me going , and I appreciate all your help

Mike Katz

The interface is rs-232c, and my guess is that it comes from the photographic side rather than "Classic" Mac specifications.

Buy a DB-8 to D-9 cable and cut it in half. This will let you play with the wiring. Two sites to look at, the first is my guess as to what is likely required. See all the links on the page:

Less likely, but possible:

OK went to the computer store and realized that the connector is not a mini DIN. The only thing that looks close is a 5 pin DIN , so I purchased this and a 9 pin D to put on the other end ( crimp). I'm not due back to work until tuesday, so I need to wait until then to see if the DIN fits.

Is there a way I can test out the rs232 , something like a device with lights for the signals , so I can experiment with the different pins?

Mike Katz

At a computer store you can get a 232 tester. They generally have 8 leds for signal indicators, only problem is I've never seen a 9 pin version, only 25, which will require 9/25 adapters.

You found DIN5s because that is a keyboard standard, but there are other pin sets, you just have to find them at an electronics supply house. You might try Digikey or JDR or Jameco. You might do a google search for DIN connector standards to see what you have.

And a voltmeter would probably be handy. Analog style for measuring DC to say 25 or 50 volts, 25 preferred.

232c defines the signal levels, and your computer is capable of collecting and displaying the data.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi Mike,

I'm usually pessimistic in these issues, but you sound like you don't have the hardware expertise required. Instead of playing with chips, may I recommend that there must be a way to redirect the output of the program to a file. In the good old days of DOS, we used to direct everything to anywhere. There may still be some utilities, command, etc to redirect the COM port to a file. Waste your time on this, not hardware engineering. Even if you suceed to connect the com port to any other port, how are you going to read what's coming in?

Good luck,
Engin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back