Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Port Comm with Web Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutlyp

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
I am in desperate need here.
I need a way to have a weight scale, that is connected to a serial port on a client machine, send it's weight to a web application sitting on a server.
Now this is in house so it's on an intranet.
I have searched the web but can not find anything on how to do this. I keep reading that the only way to do this is by creating an ActiveX component that I can reference on the web application.
I have no experience in creating ActiveX components but I am very good at VB. But I have no clue on how to do this.
First is what I am asking even possible?
If it is PLEASE let me know how it's done.
Like I said in desperate need PLEASE HELP
Thank You

How much data does the weight scale send via the serial port? Where did you read that you should use an ActiveX control? Do you have a link that I could take a look at? I have done extensive work with serial communications in VB as well as ActiveX in VB but I have not tried to do what I think it is that the web article(s) are talking about.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back