Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial numbers, Media label mismatch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeneen

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
Hello,

I've inherited an already setup commvault system using 5 libraries and 8 media agents.

I get this error quite often on restores:
While accessing a drive the Serial Number obtained is different from expected Serial Number.

And it will just try again and again till it works.

Also I get numerous tapes marked as BAD due to a "media label mismatch" but the tape is good...

I've done an exhaustive detection and had it configure its drives but I still get plagued by these problems.

I'm going to try and do a detection again and reconfigure...any ideas here?

Commvault 6.1 by the way. Cant get 7.0 till we pay 81k but since our 6.1 isnt working so hot, I'm not having hte best time convincing the higher ups to shell out the money.

For the media label errors, sometimes it will say that directly...other times it puts this in the general tab of media properties:
Repeated errors during read and write or the usage counters have now exceeded a threshold. The media has been marked as expired. Please discontinue its use.

Then if you look in the second tab there are no write errors only media label errors.

Hi

Looks like hardware issue

KB Article ID: 10993
Article Type: Troubleshooting
Published: 5/29/2007 2:48:13 PM

While accessing a drive the Serial Number obtained is different from expected Serial Number
Description:
You encounter the one of the following errors during a backup, Aux Copy, or a restore operation:

While accessing a drive, the Serial Number obtained is different from expected Serial Number.

Failed to mount media with barcode [], side [], into drive [], in library [] on MediaAgent []. Reason: While accessing a drive, the Serial Number obtained is different from expected Serial Number. Advice: There is a drive access path change. Please run SCSI Detection on the MediaAgents.
Cause:
During the initial configuration of a library, the serial numbers of each of the drives being configured is recorded. Each time a tape is mounted to a drive, the serial number of the target drive is matched with the recorded value. To prevent data loss, Galaxy will only write to the drive if the serial numbers match. If the actual serial number differs from the recorded value, or if no serial number is returned, the above error is generated and the job will fail to proceed.

The most common reasons for a serial number mismatch include:

1. A drive has been replaced in your library.
2. A drive has had its Access path reassigned by the operating system.
3. A drive is no longer visible to or detected by the operating system.

Other causes may include faulty hardware or incorrect/corrupted drivers for the drives.
Resolution:
If you have had one or more of your drives replaced recently, this error is normal and indicates that the previous drive is no longer present. Please see the Additional Information section below for information on properly configuring your new drive.

In most cases either a basic or exhaustive detection will correct the library configuration and resolve this issue. Since an exhaustive detection can take a long time, our preference is to start with a basic detection.

Following the detection, resume the job. If the job fails with the same error attempt an exhaustive detection.

The steps for performing basic and exhaustive detect operations can be found in the Detect Devices Using Exhaustive Detection documentation page.
Additional Info:
If you have replaced one or more of your drives recently, please configure your new drive as described in the documentation page Replacing a Drive with the Same Drive Type.

In the case of NDMP attached tape drives, you will need to contact the file server vendor for assistance. Each has their own process for recovering device connectivity, and CommVault cannot provide details in their behalf.

2)

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

I'll try a detection of all media agents and their libraries again.
This one library with the most problem has several exchange media agents attached as well as the normal media agents, so perhaps one of the exchange ones is causing most of the problems.

I'll redetect them all and hope it works.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back