Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Mouse not detected - Win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasETL

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I upgraded one of my PC's to Win98 (I know I am behind, but this is an old PC). The tower has a serial port for the mouse - no PS/2 or USB.
When I boot up, a message box appears stating no PS/2 Mouse was detected, but that I could attach a serial mouse. The problem is I have tried many mice that have PS/2 plugs using a PS/2 to serial adaptor, but none work.
In the setup the PS/2 appears disabled, even though there isn't a PS/2 input on the box. I do not see any mention of a serial mouse adaptor in setup.
I have even tried an IBM optical mouse that Best Buy said would work. However the mouse is not detected, and when I execute the install CD for the mouse, only the options to load a USB or PS/2 mouse are highlighted - the option for a serial mouse is grayed out. I do not see anything in the instruction manual regarding whether the mouse is or is not serial adaptable.
Anyone have a clue???

Make sure the bios has the serial ports turned on (if there is even an option) then go into windows device manager and delete all comm ports and references to mice. Reboot the system and see if the ports are re-detected.

No Luck

Under Setup there is no bios option for serial ports.

In Device Manager, after much fun trying to navigate without a mouse, I deleted all com ports (there were 2) and the mouse setup - it was showing that it was not working.

I re-booted the system and went into New Hardware. All that was detected was com1 and com2 which were of course non plug-and-play hardware. These were successfully re-connected, but no luck with the mouse.

Any other ideas???

Maybe you could check if other devices are conflicting with your COM port?

Guillaume Hébert
kag@boloxe.com
Pedal to the metal!

I check - no conflicts reported.

I installed the Microsoft standard serial mouse driver since you would think it would give you basic functionality for any mouse, but no luck. I even tried a PS/2 mouse from an old Compaq that ran windows 3.1, but no luck.

It appears I'm S.O.L. because I am not hardware saavy enough to replace the port or connect a USB port. I'm sure I could get someone to do it, but the cost would
probably be not worth it.

Hoever, maybe someone has some other suggestions???

the only real solution you have is to go out to a second handshop or fleamarket and try to locate a true serial mouse... I am running Win98SE with all updates and can't get any mice to work with an adapter plug (ps/2 to DB/9)... where as my USB mouse with PS/2 adapter works...

Ben

PS the other solution being is to buy yourself a USB interface card and USB mouse...

Did you sort out this old issue? I have the same problem now. :eek:(

[flush3] ...don't take it too seriously

Agree that a true serial mouse should work. We have a bunch of old serial mice at work and they work fine but when I tried to get a ps2 mouse working with the serial adapter I have had no luck( some adapter). A usb card and mouse should work, but the best would be to find a serial mouse( as stated above)..

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

I have a true serial mouse with true driver which truly works on other computers. It was also working on this computer under windows 95. After upgrade to 98 it doesn't recognize the mouse. Setup .ini file seems to be fine, there are no conflicts in device manager. I tryed to reinstal windows. No luck.
Com1 port is enabled in bios setup. How can I make this OS wanting my mouse????

thanks for any ideas...

[flush3] ...don't take it too seriously

i have a com port and ps2 port, how do i configure to use any one of them at a time, now that i dont have a ps2 mouse i want to use a serial mouse.

i have win98 and i am able to see the mouse pointer located in the center of the screen, but doesnt seem to move with subsequent mouse move.

in the device manager, com port doesnt seem to have any problems then why my serial mouse is not working?

MrRohan - the possibility is that 1.) the mouse is busted, 2.) the cable of the mouse has a kink, 3.) the com port is not configured correctly, 4.) there is now connection from the jack to the mobo (on old boards it was a cable)...

Ben

btw - it is usual to start a new thread when someone has a problem... so as to ensure that no information gets crossed or misunderstood for all parties...

Serial mouse has gone out of style lately for the last couple of years. If you have an older computer you may have a PS2 mouse jack on the motherboard. On AT Style motherboards you had to add a PS2 port on the PCI slot and run a ribbon to the port on the motherboard. You may want to check this out. Maybe someone local can help you.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

This is an example of what one looks like:

Often you can just steal the stuff off another old AT computer that someone has laying around. I have one at home.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back