Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Card/Com port protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoffm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2010
US
I have a Univerge IPX 2400 switch. It has an SPX-1000 card installed and that is used to communicate with the property management system. The communication is handled through a serial interface. All of a sudden there is no communication. We cannot get anything from the switch at all and the card is presumed dead. This is the second time this has happened and apparently there is damage from lightning strike, power surge, whatever? I cannot believe there isn't a solution out there to protect a $1000 serial card in a very expensive switch from simple things like that. Does anyone know of filter or protection to install that would keep these cards from getting damaged?

Your's is not a unique problem. We have had such issues with that system's IO cards in storms many times. Most of the time proper grounding on the PBX and the external equipment lessens or eliminates the problem. I suggest you bring in your vender and/or an electrician to check out the grounding situation. I have had some customers who had to get a ground rod installed in their location.In some cases it takes out the COM port in the local PC. A USB com port usually fixes it without replacing the PC.

Might be worth trying good old fashioned Opto Isolators if you can still get them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back