Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

serial ATA HDD instal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impediment

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
US
I am trying to install a new WD Caviar 120 SATA hard drive in a new AMD 2800+ xp system with a Promise FastTrack 376 controller. There is only one HDD in the system. I have an instalation CD supplied by Promise which has the driver but Windows XP also wants a file called "textsetup.oem". I am thinking the file is on the instal cd but being call something else but I can't locate it. Any ideas?

Did you browse the Promise driver CD during the driver installation and/or do a 'Find files' search on another computer to determine that the txtsetup.oem file is definitely not on the CD?

Also, make sure that the HD is connected to an IDE channel during the driver installation if Windows XP is already installed on it, or to a Fasttrak channel if it's a clean drive.

If the txtsetup.oem file is nowhere to be found on the driver CD, then there are driver packages which can be d/l from the Promise site.
These contain a self-executing file which loads the drivers and the txtsetup.oem file onto a formatted floppy disk.
The floppy can then be used to install the XP drivers.

I did browse the instal CD and did not find the file but I did find it at the Promise web site. (I asked someone to check that web site while I was working on the computer and they said the file wasn't there.) I now have the floppy made that I need to instal my hdd. Thanks for the help, Ski.

When you install XP, it will ask if you have any SCSI or RAID devices to install. Press the key specified and let it search your floppy for the files. It will the install the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back