Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

serial ata controller/drives and older proliants...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseFish

Technical User
Apr 3, 2006
US
I have several older [dual cpu: p3@550mhz, os:win2003server] proliant servers (1600, 1650, 1850,..) which I need to repurpose. Environment is very small office (~10 users).

I'd hate to dispose of these if i can somehow assign them a useful task... I was thinking about using a few as file servers, but we moved all our storage drives to 300gb Seagate st3300831as sata drives. (servers would still boot from their default scsi drives) Does anyone have experience with attempting to add a sata controller card and drives for use as a file server to old proliant servers? I was hesitant to purchase sata controllers since I dont know much about the servers' pci slot (2.0? 2.1?) compliancy, and whatever pci sata controller cards i can get my hands on...

I installed an SATA controller with a 300GB disk in a Proliant DL380 and it worked fine. I did the same as you're suggesting by booting from SCSI. The DL380 may be a year or two newer than your machines but I'd give it a try.

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back