Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sequential Sections used with Group Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

hormy83

Programmer
Jun 18, 2004
US
I’ve got a report that is supposed to list the different managers and for each manager. It shows a summary of all the commission that his/her employees have earned and then after that it shows the details for each employee. This one report lists all the managers for the company one after another with their corresponding employees.

So for example if Manager 1 has Employee A who made commission of $4 and $7 and Manager 1 also has Employee B who has made commission of $5 and $4 the report should look something like this:

Code:
Mgr 1 - Summary
    Emp A    $11
    Emp B    $9
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp A
        Sale1    $4
        Sale2    $7
    Emp B
        Sale1    $5
        Sale2    $4
Mgr 2 – Summary
    … etc

I’m not even getting that far. This report works just fine when I’ve got the two group sections and no summary. I’ve got the top level (ReportSection) that has the DataStream which returns all the data for the report. Then I’ve got a GroupSection that groups by manager and in the content of that I’ve got another GroupSection that groups by the employee.

So that report returns:

Code:
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp A
        Sale1    $4
        Sale2    $7
    Emp B
        Sale1    $5
        Sale2    $4
Mgr 2 – Details
    … etc

Then I add a SequentialSection to the content of the grouping by manager. I stick the group by employee inside that sequential section and add nothing else. This then breaks both grouping functions. The report then turns into this:

Code:
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp A
        Sale1    $4
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp A
        Sale2    $7
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp B
        Sale1    $5
Mgr 1 – Details
    Emp B
        Sale2    $4
Mgr 2 – Details
    … etc

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the group section to work with the sequential section?

Thanks!

Why are you adding the sequential section? Assuming your managers and their specific employees all link together, you should only need to group by manager, expecially if you want a summary of all the employees commission. The summary would go in the 'after' frame.

Group Before
Manager
Content
emp1 comm
emp1 comm
emp2 comm
emp2 comm
After
Sum(Comm)

With your suggestion it appears like it will show a grand total of the commission for the manager. So because of that and I also need the summary at the beginning I don't think that will work.

The data that I am getting is at the detail level and I plan to have the report sum it for the summary and then loop back through it and output the details.

To try to explain better what I want the report to look like, the output I'm trying to get is this:

PAGE 1 (Summary):
Code:
Manager: Joe

Emp #    Name      Comp
123      Bob       $11
532      Sue       $9
827      Jim       $15
TOTAL:             $35

PAGE 2 and on (Details):
Code:
Manager: Joe

Employee: Bob - 123
  Sale #      Comp
  A4321       $3
  A8391       $4
  A1234       $4
  TOTAL:      $11

Employee: Sue - 532
  Sale #      Comp
  A5321       $2
  A6391       $4
  A2234       $3
  TOTAL       $9

Employee: Jim - 827
  Sale #      Comp
  A2341       $8
  A4351       $7
  TOTAL:      $15

GRAND TOTAL:  $35

You could add in a memory buffer, sum the commission there, and then display as I suggested, but with the summary at the top because the summing is already done

I recommend lookahead aggregegates in the Before frame. Don't forget to use GROUP BY so that each employee gets listed separately.
In the eRDPro Help, look in "Adding Aggregate Information" in "Developing Actuate Basic Reports".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back