Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sequential checkdisk of the non-boot partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
I have a small 'boot' partition on a large hard drive and several large 'data' partitions. I would like to set the checkdisk of each 'data' partition in turn, to automatically start on the next partition when the checkdisk of the 'previous' partition has finished. I have not been able to use Scheduled Tasks for this as it returns the error of 'Can not start' - I suspect because I did not just ask for 'checkdisk', but for 'checkdisk D'. How to fix this ?

This is a bit vague as it is nearly 10 years since I created such an animal. I have NTFSCHK.exe on a floppy that is a Startup type created in XP or 9x. It is a program that will do what you seek to do so in that it will ChkDsk all drives in one run.

The program is part of something called NTFSDOS Professional (free, read only version) see Google links

NTFSCHK.exe has to be copied from the NTFSDOS Professional created floppy and put on a floppy that is a Startup type created in XP or 9x. This Floppy is easy enough to get onto a CD. I am not so sure about what NTFSDOS Professional does as that seems to create the first Floppy as part of that program's workings.

Sorry it is all to vague, but I am going back 10 years nearly.

Some old notes of mine.

"NTFSDOS Professional (free, read only version) also comes with NTFSCHK, a tool for running the Windows NT/2000/XP CHKDSK program from within MS-DOS. NTFSCHK allows you to verify and repair the NTFS disk structure in case of accidental corruption.

This can be run after booting from any 9x or XP MS-Dos startup floppy.

NtfsChk will only check and repair NTFS partitions."

If you cant create NTFSCHK.exe I might be able to upload it.

Linney
Thank you for that very helpful advice. I have many similar utilities on a floppy, but NTFSCHK.exe is NOT included. My PC still has a working floppy drive. If it works as you claim, it would save me a lot of trouble, though I was interested in the technical ability of Scheduled tasks to do it. I've searched the net and seems to offer a 1Mb version for download, which may be more direct than asking you to upload it.

That exe file run in Windows, CREATED a boot floppy (floppy was reformatted first BY THIS PROGRAM). I tried it on a hard drive with two partitions and in a VERY short time, it reported on the entire contents, without mentioning the partition. It ran only phase 1, 2 and 3, so did no surface checking. Not ideal, but maybe the best I can do. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back