Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sequence Numbers In MS SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorryDog777

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi, Our company is switching over from Oracle to MS SQL.

I have searched through the archives and found the question below, but couldn't reply to it. So I started a new thread. I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

Question:
"Hi is there an equivalent to sequence (in oracle) in Sql Server?

I need to have a auto incrementing sequence of numbers which would be used as a primary key for the table."

I need the same thing, but not use the sequence number as a primary key. The sequence number is numeric and needs to auto increment like in Oracle. Example: 5551234, the next number would be 5551235 and so on. Oracle does something like lock the table when issuing out a number so there is no possibility of duplicate numbers.

Any idea how to achieve this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

SD

Christiaan, identity columns need to be the primary key, SorryDog said his sequence could not be the PK

the only way to do this that i can think of is to set up a separate table with an integer column and increment it yourself in a function

r937.com | rudy.ca

> whoa!! yes, you're right, what was i thinking??!!!

Max. one PK per table, max. one identity column per table, the fact identity is widely used as primary key in a don't-let-me-think fashion... probably a little bit of everything. [noevil]

> actually, asking for stars is a RedFlaggable offence

Exception: chrissie1 [smile]

------
[small]select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')[/small]
[banghead]

I wasn't asking for a star, I was just saying what I thought you were thinking.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

Thanks for all of your replies.

Christiaan,
Is this all there is to code for a sequence? Looks like I'm missing something or it doesn't look like it's all there?

Can you provide some sample code to create the sequence??
SD

identity (1,1)

seed = 1 (begins at 1)
step = 1 ((increments in steps of 1)

Hi SD,

You need to set it when creating table . . like

Code:
Create table dbo.MyTable ( 
	My_Identity_Column_as_Primary int [B] identity(1,1)[COLOR=blue] primary key [/color][/b],
	My_Second_Column varchar(50))

Regards,

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." -- Colin Powell

Code:
CREATE TABLE tbl_blah
(
  blah_Id int identity(1,1) NOT NULL
  , blah varchar(100) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
)

Or you can use it in an alter table sequence.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back