Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

September 10th. adj. 1. petty, shallow, outmoded, irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Interesting new "words" entries in New Encarta Webster entries:
"9/11 has two meanings in the dictionary. One denotes the actual hijacked plane attacks on New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. The other use is for a catastrophic attack by terrorists where very large numbers of innocent people are killed or injured."

Also of puzzling note:
"[...] September 10th -- an adjective defined as 'so petty, shallow, or outmoded as to be irrelevant.'

I detest these new meanings. The thing that is being hijacked here is a perfectly good date. For example, no one refers to the attack on Pearl Harbor as 12/7. 12/7 is 12/7/2004, THIS year. How annoying to say "9/11." Then, "I mean, 9/11 such-and-such-year!"

I hope this doesn't signify a new trend of events being referred to with date names.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

At what point do we use up all the special days? I mean eventually, doesn't everyday become sort of Holiday or Day of Rememberance? What will we do then? Perhaps we should start splitting them up into hours...I mean why should everything get a full day? That should buy us another couple hundred years or so.

boyd.gif

But what would be a suitable alternative for 9/11? It wasn't just the one event. Mind you, not a problem this side of the Atlantic anyway!
Never heard the September 10th one.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

How about

Massacre Day
2001 Terrorist Attack
Attack on America
Terrorist War Declaration

Heck, I don't know. Just don't hijack a perfectly good date so now it means something else!

(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

ONE reason is that 9/11 is so similar to 911, the emergency phone number in many US cities.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] It's been reported that a wee psychic is roaming the countryside.
Small Medium @ Large! [tongue][/sub]

The common emergency number (911) in the US is pronounced nine-one-one, and doesn't appear to have influenced nine-eleven.

My problem with nine-eleven is that it has all the earmarks of street speech, which now has been elevated by persons that should know better to something solemn and supposedly respectable. Heck, even the president loves using that 9/11 slang in formal discourses.

Who cares if it's coincidentally similar to 911? Nine-one-one already means something else. Let's not confuse things with other things by using the same name for them!

This thread is starting to seem very familiar....

thread1256-888388

I'm with The Square One on this. I don't like the use of nine-eleven to refer to the events of that awful day. But I recognize that to fight it is beyond useless.

After all, not using nine-eleven in such a way is so September 10th. Yech - That is the first, last and only time I'll be using that phrase.

John

You try to concentrate while staring down the barrel of a loaded Thnikaman.
-Strong Bad

To get the best answers fast, please read faq181-2886

anotherhiggins,

I whined about it in that thread, too! ROFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back