Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separation problem CS2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
I've a file with three small AI logos - fills in these are either 100% black or 0% black. When they're placed in my ID file, they produce empty C-M-Y plates. Ideas?

Thanks,
Donna

If there is no color, why would you want a color ink plate?

Just don't turn those separations into film or plates.

There will be several ads on one page - and this one when going through the other departments is the only one giving grief. Can turn off the plates, but wondered why it would happen in the first place.
thanks,
Donna

...i believe this is the nature of placed .ai and also .pdf files that have only one ink, eps on the other hand doesn't produce this behavior...

...something to to do with the pdf format that illy uses to create 9, 10, CS or CS2 .ai files that you can place into indesign...

...saving to a legacy format lower than 9 is one way to get around this, however you may encounter problems doing this as formats above 8 have features that won't hold in formats lower. Transparency being the main one, so best to keep it in the format it was created in wherever possible...

...it can be handy to have these extra plates in some cases as a way of previewing that artwork hasn't inadvertently been put onto unnecessary plates. I always output to all seps in a seps workflow, so as to check through on RIP preview before committing to proof or final output...

Andrew

...you could regard it as a bug however I expect Adobe are aware of it and it is in place for a bigger more in depth reason that escapes my tiny brain...

...can be an annoyance though...

: )

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew - it's handy for knowing something isn't on a wrong plate, just annoying that it outputs that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back