Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate out data in one field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jembo

MIS
Dec 20, 2004
GB
I have a field (Bus Desc) that can contains more than one word.
e.g.
Bus Desc
Bldr
Chrtd Acctnt
Internet Security & Web Design Consultancy & Training

Is it possible to create a Universe variable that contains each individual word?

You'd have to know how many words there are and do the parsing at the SQL level. If there are 8 words, you'd have 8 objects.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

I thought I would have to do it this way.

I have decided to take into account only the first 7 words so have created 7 variables. Is it now possible to combine the data in these variables into a single variable (so I have a long list of words)? I have a feeling this is not possible (which makes the next step tricky)

Can't you just concatenate them together?

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

No Steve. Concatenating the data will just put it back into one string. From the example above I want to end up with;

Chrtd
Acctnt
Internet
Security
&
Web
etc...

The easiest way would probably be to have 7 queries, each picking a different variable, and then 'union' the results.

This could be acceptable for small volumes, otherwise I would suggest that this is not a job for a 'reporting tool'.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back