Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate Boot Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Regarding a server with a RAID 5 array, is it better to boot from a drive separate from the RAID controller or boot directly from the RAID array (C drive being a 2 gig partition on the RAID)?

In my opinion, it is foolish to boot any server from anything other than a RAID array (whether that be a RAID1, RAID5 etc...) because you have fault tolerance in this configuration which is not present in a single disk setup.

Booting off a separate disk would mean that if that disk failed in any way, your server would also fail and would require a rebuild. What are the chances of that happening? It is quite common and not worth the risk of having the server unavailable to your business.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

The only way I would buy off on doing it on a separate disk is if it is also in a RAID setup, at least a RAID 1 Mirror.

Leaving the SYS drive and Boot drive non-redundant is very foolish way to configure a server since the server will not boot or be functional without them.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly understand the need for redundancy....and I want to do the installation right the first time.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back