Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEO Scum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVampire

Programmer
May 1, 2002
US
My wife has a blog on Yahoo Japan. It gets a fair bit of traffic. The problem is some SEO ripoff page ( is scraping her content and pasting it on their site and putting multiple links back to her site.

To make it short, is there anything we can do to block them from scraping the content? I'm sure that they are using some sort of automated method to do it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can use server-side scripting to stop content delivery to certain IP addresses and/or domains.

Do a Google search for "prevent scraping" to get some other ideas.

Lee

You could serve different content to the scraping 'bot (content that google would de-list a site for) - including keyword stuffing etc. When they have scraped (and have the offending content being served from their servers) then you can report them to Google. Google staffers won't know the site was scraped, but they will see the signs of a scammer (keyword stuffing as one example) and may very well de-list them (making the lives of the scraping site less than optimal - and screwing any page rank they or their customers have).

Just a thought :)

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

They do keyword stuffing already, but it's all in Japanese and I'm not sure that it would be recognized by Google. It's worth a shot though. Thanks.

The guys above are too polite to come right out and say it.... you might want to serve up some disgusting and/or disturbing content to HTTP Requests originating from the scrapers. A few goatse/ogrish responses should do the trick. Those are things nobody should see.

A more family-friendly response might be a rick roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back