Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEO Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandor435

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
I would like to hear some thoughts on this below. I have been trying to read as much as I can on SEO. Though I have learned alot, I have come across conflicting information. One such site w/ conflicting opinions had this to say:

Myth- Submitting a site too often to the search engines will get the site banned

Myth- Submitting to FFAs (link pages) will get you banned

Myth- Doorway pages will get you banned

Myth- Automatic rank checking will get you banned

There is almost nothing you can do to get banned
Think about it....if there was you could easily get all of your competition banned from the engines - the engines are much smarter than this.

Myth- Submitting to thousands of search engines is a waste of time
You will not gain much traffic from smaller engines but every bit helps. This also will increase your link popularity and some engines use this in determining your rank.

This guy is trying to sell SEO software I understand, but his point about banning your competition seems to make sense. Love to hear some of your thoughts on this.

start at the top
1/ Nope, it won't gain anything either.
2/ see 1/
3/ Yes they can if the pages are on your main site, Also if the SEs can make a connection between external doorway pages/domains and the site they point to, that definitely shows you are in control of them the main site will be penalised/banned as well.
4/ it will get the IP that the queries are from blocked. If this happens to be where your site is also located, tough! Again if they can make a definite connection between the querying IP and your main site it will get penalised. This has happened.

should this
There is almost nothing you can do to get banned
be
There is almost nothing you can do to get a competitor banned
Because there are several ways to get your own site penalised/banned

HR Thread on
Google Bowling
and SEO Myths

and last Submitting to thousands of SEs (which there aren't anyway) Will mainly guarantee you spam for life and little else.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi

Zandor435 said:
Submitting to thousands of search engines is a waste of time
There are a lot of thematic and/or regional search engines, from where your site will be removed in notime. I would not try such things, I think is a bad idea to displease any search engine database administrator.

Feherke.

Myths 1-4: Delete "will get you banned", insert "won't do you any good and may get you banned" throughout. Then you're nearer the truth. If these things aren't gonna be beneficial, why do them?

Submitting to thousands of search engines is a waste of time
There aren't thousands of real search engines to submit to.

There are a handful that will get you 99% of your traffic - Google, MSN, Yahoo, DMoz (not an engine but worth mentioning)

There are (maybe) hundred or two aimed at particular subject or geographical areas - there's no harm in being listed in these, submit to them as you find them.

The rest of the "thousands" are run by scammers and spammers. You'll spend some time submitting and more time dealing with all the spam you get. You'll get no traffic and negligable PR in return. Sounds like a "waste of time" to me - time you could be spending on better content for your site, the ultimate SEO technique!

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back