Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sent Packets: 4,000,000,000,000 Received Packets: 300,000... what the?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LUV1T

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
US
I'm not making this up. A user called me to install a network printer for her. Ok no problem. Was in the process of Browsing for drivers on network share when PC became unstably slow. I quickly double-clicked her Local Area Connection icon to discover (in horror) packets sent in the trillions (gazillions?) as opposed to Packets received being around 300,000. What could this be? I restarted the PC and didn't troubleshoot further. I've seen this once before but I figure it's a LAN issue as opposed to a spyware/trojan/virus if it only happens at random like this. Right?

I'd definitely run a virus scan.
Maybe update/reinstall the network drivers?

yeah i'd be checking for virus etc first then see if any extra programs have been added !

Laters, phat, headshape

Just to add my 2 cent of what I'd do. Firstly - run netstat and see if there any usual connections (like port 25 to a server that isn't yours). If you run it with the -b option it'll tell you which process is responsible for the connection. Also, if you use the -n option it won't resolve IP addresses to host names so it'll be a bit quicker (you could always do an nslookup afterwards if you want to know what a server might be). Then once you've identified the process responsible for the traffic, you're half way there !!

Good Luck :)

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back