Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seniority list with incremental number changing if hiring/quitting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi88

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
CA
Hi I have a database of employes and I need to sort them with a seniority number. This number will vary if employes quit or new one are hired. My table looks like this:

Dates (the name of the table)
No_employe (the primary key)
No_union (there is 2 different unions)
Date_seniority
Rank (if 2 employes have the same seniority date, they will have number 1, 2, 3, ... if not it's 0)

I need to order by No_union, Date_seniority and Rank after that I would like to have a number starting at 1 for the employe with the more seniority and going +1 for the second ...

Then I will use this number in some report and also in a few queries.

I tried a few things mention in earlier treads but I'm not really good with VB coding. Can someone help me with that problem?

Francois

Can you please post some examples of input data and expected result ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Here is an example:

AA BBBBBBBBB C D
55 21-05-1999 0 1
55 22-09-2000 0 2
55 01-08-2001 1 3
55 01-08-2001 2 4
55 01-08-2001 3 5

Where:
AA is the Union code
BBBBBBBBB is the seniority date
C is the rank
D would be the incremntal number

If I add a new employe with this date 30-01-2000 I want the query to look like this.

AA BBBBBBBBB C D
55 21-05-1999 0 1
55 30-01-2000 0 2
55 22-09-2000 0 3
55 01-08-2001 1 4
55 01-08-2001 2 5
55 01-08-2001 3 6

Thanks

So the Rank and Increment shouldn't be stored in the table but always calculated on the fly to prevents discrepancies when employes quit or new one are hired.
Something like this ? (typed not tested)
SELECT No_employe, No_union, Date_seniority,
(Select Count(*) From employes R Where R.No_union=E.No_union
And R.Date_seniority=E.Date_seniority And R.No_employe<E.No_employe) As Rank,
(Select Count(*) From employes I Where I.No_union=E.No_union
And I.Date_seniority<=E.Date_seniority And
(I.No_employe<=E.No_employe Or I.Date_seniority<E.Date_seniority)) As Increment
FROM employes E
ORDER BY 2, 3, 1;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hi PH, your code works really well, I had to adjust it a bit because the rank is decide with a draw if many employes have the same seniority date. Here is the code after the adjustment. It's now working well even if I don't understand everything about this code especially the last AND (...).

SELECT E.No_employe, E.No_union, E.Date_seniority, E.Rank, (Select Count(*) From Dates I Where I.No_union=E.No_union And I.Date_seniority<=E.Date_seniority And (I.Rank<=E.Rank Or I.Date_seniority<E.Date_seniority)) AS Increment
FROM Dates AS E
ORDER BY E.No_union, E.Date_seniority, E.Rank;

Thanks a lot

Francois

PHV,

I've been trying to twist the ranking feature into life all day! Have a star for allowing some extra insight.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back