Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

falban

MIS
Mar 5, 2003
CA
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if I'm running Sun Sendmail or open source Sendmail on a Solaris server???

telnet <hostname> 25

if you get a response, you have an smtp server of some kind running :)

Ok... I know I have sendmail running. It's version 8.12.2. What I need to know is if it's Sun Sendmail or if the tech before me compiled open source sendmail from sendmail.org. I've tryed various thigs such as telnet to port 25, strings /usr/lib/sendmail |less, sendmail -V, and all I can find is the version number.

I don't believe Sun have released version 8.12.2 so you can be pretty sure someone else has installed it. I'm not sure about Solaris 9 though... under Solaris 8 with the latest Sun sendmail patch it appears to be version 8.11.6.

Also check out pkginfo -l SUNWsndmr to see if the OS thinks it has any version of sendmail installed. If the previous admin installed a later version, they *should* have removed this package. Annihilannic.

Hello,

It's not a definitive info but in combination with the previous points it can be usefull:

Telnet your host at the port number 25. Solaris default sendmail info prints &quot;Sun&quot; string after the release number and a plus sign (previous sysadmins could have changed the output text, but if changing something, the most common thing would be to remove all the info for security reasons, and not only Sun concerning info).

You can also check the configuration file's header comments for Sun strings. Again, the binaries can be standard binaries and the configuration file sun's file, but I don't think it's usual.

Bye,

jmiturbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back