Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirandag

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2002
Hi, what can I do to forward incoming emails to another email server?

What is the .forward syntaxis?

Best regards.

In your home directory create a file called .forward

The internals for .forward is merely an e-mail address to the address you want the e-mail forwarded to.

For instance, say your current e-mail address is mickey.mouse@disney.com and you want your e-mail forwarded to your home address. In the .forward file (in your home directory) you just type "mickey@rathole.com". Now anything that comes to the @disney.com address will be forwarded to the @rathole.com address. Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

I wrote .forward file and now, I receive something like this in maillog:

Oct 1 16:18:26 server sendmail[1111]: g91KIP601110: forward /home/gmiranda/.forward.diamond: Group writable directory
Oct 1 16:18:26 diamond sendmail[1111]: g91KIP601110: forward /home/gmiranda/.forward: Group writable directory
Oct 1 16:18:26 server sendmail[1113]: g91KIQ601113: to=server2.mydomain.com, delay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=0, dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown

What does it mean?

Best regards.

It means that your /home/gmiranda directory is writable by whatever group owns it and so if your .forward file has the writebit set for group anyone in your group can edit your .forward file. This should not be an issue for you since your group is probably gmiranda. It probably looks something like this:

-rwxrwx--- gmiranda gmiranda 16 Sep 29 13:00 .forward

(or something like that) if you use the chmod command like this:
"chmod 744 .forward"

it should fix the error you're seeing and the permissions will look like this:

-rwxr--r-- gmiranda gmiranda 16 Sep 29 13:00 .forward

Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back