Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugur

Technical User
Sep 12, 2001
TR
I have two MX records on my DNS server.

xxx.com MX preference=10, mail exchanger = mail.xxx.com
xxx.com MX preference=20, mail exchanger = mail2.xxx.com

mail.xxx.com internet address = 194.194.194.194
mail2.xxx.com internet address = 195.195.195.195

and I have two seperate mail servers Linux box which are Redhat and SuSE. I want those mails coming to mail2.xxx.com to be forwarded to mail.xxx.com What kind of configuration should I make in Sendmail?

What happens if mail1 goes down, and mail2 takes over but is still trying to forward all of its mail to mail1? Its not going to work.

ChrisP

I agree. It looks like you are using DNS to load balance the two mail servers. If you want all mail to go to one server, just delete the records for the second.

I don't know sendmail but this is a pretty standard way of having a backup mail server, forwarding mail to the primary mail server, retrying every x hours for x days.

Why remove the secondary?

Oh... and there is a sendmail forum here; forum14 [smurf]

Really? How is the backup mail server going to forward mail to the primary when the primary is down? Why is a secondary mail server receiving mail to begin with? Its supposed to be a backup or failover. When the primary goes down, the backup takes its place sending and receiving mail.

ChrisP

Chris,
You are almost get the idea. Sorry I was not clear on the subject. It goes like this:

We used to have a single mail server. We had a power failover and we could not receive our emails for two days. In order to prevent this to happen again we set up another mail server. Normally it routes all incoming mail to primary mail server. However, some mails go to the secondary one. What I want is that those mails who are accidentaly gone to secondary one to be forwarded to primary one. In case of fail of primary server, I will go to the secondary one and disable the forwarding option.

What kind of configuration settings are required for SendMail 8.9.3 in order to achive this?

Thanks

Some mail "accidentally" goes to the secondary? I don't know why mail would do this, but what if the secondary goes down then?

I wouldn't set up my mail servers like this, so I don't know. Maybe someone else can help you.

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back