Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail sits in queue for exactly 1hr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scunningham99

Programmer
Sep 20, 2001
GB
Hi

My knowledge of sendmail is very limited so please excuse me.

$ uname -a
SunOS nimrod 5.10 Generic_144488-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

When I run the following on server it sits in the mailq for exactly 1 hr before we receive anything. This is exactly 1 hr every time. Was wondering if there are any settings which would be causing this.

mail -s "test from NIMROD" pdg@consulting.com
hello im a test email sent at 13:49
$ mailq
/var/spool/mqueue (1 request)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
pA1DnHgE006190* 37 Tue Nov 1 13:49 <oratest@slo.gov.uk>
<pdg@consulting.com>
Total requests: 1

This sits in the mailq for 1 hr.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated

Sy UK

more info:-

root 14010 1 0 15:19:51 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -bl -q15m
root 19931 1 0 10:23:31 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -bl -q15m

Sy UK

You've just gone back to Winter time, right? I wonder is sendmail still in Summer time for some reason... although the times look right in your original post, and it looks like the daemon has been restarted recently so it should have noticed the change. Does it go through a gateway? Maybe that's the one that hasn't updated its clock and is refusing to relay it until the time is right. Then again... you'd think it would be trying to send the email an hour earlier rather than delaying it by an hour. Sorry, no solution... just thinking aloud!

Is the load average on your system high? There is a very conservative default setting in sendmail where it doesn't relay emails if the load average is above 8 I think (a ridiculously small number on large multiprocessor systems).

Try running /usr/lib/sendmail -q -ox80 -v, which overrides that value to 80. Do pending emails get dequeued immediately?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

hi thanks for reply...

This is not due to clock change as happened prior time diff. Good thinking tho..

Not exactly hour now as got one in 53min.

Doing some comparison on other servers. Cant figure out what the "bl" switch means. Cant seem to find anyware. I understand -bd is deamon but cannot find -bl

Any ideas

smmsp 782 1 0 Nov 01 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m
oratest 14405 914 0 10:30:55 pts/2 0:00 grep send
root 19931 1 0 Nov 01 ? 0:07 /usr/lib/sendmail -bl -q15m

thanks for your help

Sy UK

Google tells me -bl means the sendmail daemon will only accept connections from localhost. It doesn't seem to be supported by the version of sendmail running on my Solaris 10 VM (package version 11.10.0).

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back