Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

uxadmin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
IN
hi all,
I haven't worked on sendmail but want to work on. we have hosted our sendmail server with one ISP but want to add local sendmail server to deliver local mails locally. I want to replicate incoming & outgoing mails. Should be replicated automatically between these 2 servers. How should be the config like? will 2 servers have diff. domain names? How accounts would be configured on these 2 servers? We have already 2 domain names registered,
Thanx in advance, any help is appreciated.

Newcomer

I don't understand the question. Sendmail doesn't handle local mail. When mail comes into the server for local delivery, it is passed to the local mailer which is either mail or procmail. In fact you can mail out without sendmail running at all if you have another outside smtp server to send through. If you want to run two domains on your server and want sendmail to handle the mail for both domains, then I can help you. Please be a little more specific on what you want sendmail to do for you.

Sorry, I mean local delivery that is within my lan. And outside means all other world. I want to setup my sendmail server in such a way that I could replicate all my mails from my hosted mail server. B'cos link is more reliable where we have hosted our server. When our internet link goes down, international clients should send & receive mails using hosted server. Other time my local LAN mails should be routed via locally hosted server, it should not use internet link. Our local LAN smtp traffic is much more which is consuming lots of my bandwidth.
Thanks in advance, expecting your reply,

uxadmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back