Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail newbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwe

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
since they say you shouldn't say HELP!!!! in the subject I'll say it here.
HELP!!!!

1st off let me say I have never tried to configure sendmail before and i am totally lost. I have tried to follow the advice in a couple of of other threads and have gotten nowhere.

I am working on a SCO 5.0.7 system. There are no other servers on the local network. Local network is used only for printer sharing, internet access for the local workstations and telnet access (via tinyterm) to the UNIX box. Internet access is via a cisco router to a fractional T1. Router has address translation setup to allow telnet access to the unix box from the internet. Their ISP for the T1 is WorldCom.

In addition they have a Website (horizontransport.com) & Email setup through Cyberlink.

Now all that said the only thing I want to do is send Email from the unix box to their customers. Will be running mail from the command line to send the emails automatically.

Basic problem is I don’t know what to put where. I have tried to configure sendmail but the test messages I send out never show up. have set the logging level to 15 but can’t see anything wrong in the syslog file.

Sendmail configuration is as follows:
Machine name: horizon.horizontransport.com
DOMAIN name: horizontransport.com
UUCP connections: NOT SET
Alternate names: horizon horizon.horizontransport.com
Connect to uunet via UUCP? n
Is there a UUCP gateway on the net? n
Is there a smart mailhost on the net? mail
Use NIS aliases with sendmail? n
Gateway for non-local X.400 mail? NOT SET
Aliases for X.400 gateway? NOT SET
Is this host on the Internet? n

I used the IP address Cyberlink gave me for their mail server mail.horizontransport.com and used it to setup the host mail in /etc/hosts

I have a couple of DNS addresses WorldCom gave me but haven’t tried them and don’t really know where to put them.
Tried to add the host mail as a nameserver in resolv.conf but don’t know if I made things better or worse. The sample file had a bunch of other stuff I didn’t know if I should leave or # out.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

PS
Sorry for being so wordy, but I didn’t know what you guys might need so put in all I could think of.

add the dns addresses as nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf
do not have mail.horizontransport.com in /etc/resolv.conf
the smarthost entry should point to Cyberlinks smtp server and it needs to allow relaying.

well i'm getting further,
now it appearsthat my mail is getting out, the problem now is that it is being returned with domain errors.
what i think is the problem is that it doesn't like my machine name. i have tried to masquerade machine.theirdomain.com as just theirdomain.com but the returned messages are complaining about machine.theirdomain.com.
I looked through the sendmail forum, but got lost as I either couldn't find the files they referenced (sendmail.cm) or the sections in the sendmail.cf

any ideas???
TIA
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back