Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail issues in outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.

smythe

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm having issues setting up a POP3 account in Outlook Express. This usually works fine at my house on my DSL connection... but right now I am at my parents for Thanksgiving using their dial up connection.

I have entered all the POP3 information correctly:
incoming server: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
outgoing server: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

And yes, I clicked the "my server requires authentication" checkbox.

OK, so I can receive e-mail just fine, if I attempt to send an e-mail I get the following error message in OE:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: ‘myusername@sbcglobal.net’, Server: ‘smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com’, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

What could be causing this? I can send e-mail through the sbc yahoo web interface. Why can't I in OE?

I can telnet into pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com port 110 just fine, and I pinged smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and got a response...

The only other things that have crossed my mind are (and these are long shots):
1) some sort of virus scanning software is scanning/preventing the e-mail from being sent.

2) The connection settings need to be altered in OE or IE to connect to the server properly (tried several settings and no go)

3) The smtp timeout period needs to be longer in order to connect (I already bumped this up to 110 and still no go)

Any ideas? I can't seem to google anyone with the same issue... any help is appreciated thanks.

some ISPs do not allow "RELAYING" from their servers. they are hesitant to allow you to use "other" email services over their connection.

check with them to see if they are preventing this on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back