Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail hostname lookup failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloups

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
FR
Hi all, i'm sendmail newbie because since few days it'allways worked and i never had to worry about that

I'm working on aix boxes with AIX 5.3.

Actually i cant send mail messages anymore, every time i get this type of message:

jBADj4K438276 5039 17675083+Dec 10 07:45 root
(Deferred: Name server: 172.20.24.65: host name lookup failure)
(---abo:1:0:abo---)
alexandre-bossot@XXXX.com

- For months i send mail message every day to my mail sever

- My Dns resolution is ok and reverse resolution also works

- I tried to Change DS parameter in sendmail.cf config file with the fqdn of my mail server, the short name and also it's ip adress

- I tried to send mail with telnet connection on port 25 and all is ok

- I ping my DSN server and my mail server wich is same box

- i also tried sendmail -bt to check the recipient adress parsing and all also seems to be ok.

Please sendmail gurus give me a way to search...

Your sendmail is saying it's sending mail from root@sendmail_hostname. Your mail server is saying that it's asking a public DNS server if sendmail_hostname exists and it's getting back the answer no. Either give your sendmail machine a valid publicly resolvable hostname, or make it masquerade all mail outbound to say it's from domain.com instead of hostname.domain.com.

After reading your message i'cant find the informations you said.

Previoulsy all the mail sent had a sender adress like root@hotname.

My DNS is also my mail server and nows my hostname
I tried to leave sendmail.cf wihtout coding Dw and Dm parameters.

Hostname command replies the hostname of my aix box and nslookup of my own adress replies the fqdn of my system.

I also hard coded hostname dans domain name in resolv.conf but nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back