Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixkid

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2001
US
Having problems with entries in sendmail logs. Of just under 16,000 entries in the log regarding connections from that host I enclosed below. Can any help me as to why this is happening or how I should resolve it.

Oct 14 03:22:19 my.sendmail.server sendmail[21855]: NOQUEUE: mimesweeper.fly.virgin.com [212.24.84.4] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I am getting an error like this also and was wondering if anyone has posted anything as to why this happens. Not quite sure if the MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN is correct or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Error is:

Oct 29 08:43:33 purple sendmail[9470]: NOQUEUE: web21412.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.232.81] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

Thanks.

I found these on Google:

<snip>
The notice &quot;MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA&quot; usually indicates
a dead connection. Meaning that they connected to your smtp port and just
quiting out. You can duplicate this message yourself just by telneting to
your smtp server and typing quit after it sends it's connection notice. This
doesn't mean that they're not sending anything to the smtp server, just that
it doesn't recognize what they've sent as a valid command at that point in
the process.
</snip>

<snip>
hi ,

I also had the same problem with my mail server.
I have found the DNS blacklist feature as the source of the problem. Its like this feature of sendmail does not lets some hosts to establish a connection, making them disconnect just after connecting.

Remove the DNS blacklist or any other anti-spam based on internet Database from your sendmail config and recompile it.

My problem seems to be solved with that.

good luck
regards
Rajesh
</snip>

<snip>
Intel(R) NetStructure(TM) 1020 Web Hosting Appliance
Error: &quot;Error getting e-mail password. , did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA.&quot;

This applies to:
Intel(R) NetStructure(TM) 1010 Web Hosting Appliance, Intel(R) NetStructure(TM) 1020 Web Hosting Appliance

Symptom(s):
Error: &quot;Error getting e-mail password. , did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA.&quot;
When attempting to send an e-mail message, a user is prompted for a password. After entering the password, the user gets an error message.

Solution:
1. Open a Telnet session to the appliance and log in as the administrator.
2. Switch user to the root user (su root).
3. Edit etc/sendmail.cf file.
4. Change the &quot;O PrivacyOptions&quot; to &quot;novrfy&quot;.
5. Save and exit the file.
6. Restart the Sendmail* through the Intel Administration GUI.
</snip>

<snip>
Subject: Re: [cobalt-developers] sendmail - did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:58:23 -0700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 08:22 AM 6/21/2002, you wrote:

>Thank you all for helping me with my other problems after the newest
>upgrades. However this one started popping up again. Chances are if I am
>getting it other will too after the upgrade.
>
>This is what i get in my log reporting tool:
>
>error: safesasl(/etc/sasldb) failed: Group readable file
>
>I have no idea what this means... any ideas?

Posted numerous times already. Change the permissions to 600.
Don't know why the error started (it did when someone checked their email)
No one from Sun will post if this fix is correct, but it works.
</snip>

I got one of these errors on an intranet web server that only allows outgoing sendmail. The IP belongs to a Korean network, not our intranet. Any ideas on what they were trying to do and HOW they got through a firewall to do it?

Nov 3 14:48:18 XXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.XXX sendmail[13702]: NOQUEUE: [61.100.19.251] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

(I changed the name of my server to protect the innocent) :)

Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back