Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail for multiple domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkick

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US
Hi, I've setup a FreeBSD system to use as a web server. I wanted to start experiment with virtual hosting, so I can start offering hosting services.
I have everything set up, including Apache... and all the basic virtual hosting stuff... all but EMAIL!
I really have no clue where to begin. Here's the problem, I need the machine to handle email for multiple domains... all going to different accounts.
Here's what I mean:
-When you order, you get a POP3 email YOU@yourdomain.com
All customers that order hosting get ftp access with a real system account.
Could someone guide me? And if my description is too confusing, I'd be happy to elaborate.

Hi there,

Anybody feel free to correct me,

The way my sendmail is configured (by default on new installation) you need to add the name of the domains you wish to send mail to (relay to) in the file ... /etc/mail/relay-domains.

I found that when i send a mail from my box, BSD42, it will always be defered unless i add the domain of the sender to the 'relay-domains' file.

These are domains that you bos will act as a mail relay for. I belive the purpose this is to stop spammers/hackers using you mail server as a relay. (i think)

This is o.k. if your sending mail to the same domains regularly, but can be a nightmare if you send to diferent people all the time. you may be able to set up a script to add the users domain to the 'relay-domains' file (echo user.domain.com >> /etc/mail/relay-domains)

You will also need to have a name server running on your server (or local network) so other mail servers you send mail to can do reverse lookups for your domain.

NOTE - a lot of mail servers will not accept mail from any domain that they cannot do a reverse dns lookup for.

Hope this helps!

JayBot
"Always know what you say, but don't always say what you know!"

Try to find it out in at virtual hosting section.
If you still get confused by this problem, please don't be hesitate to contact me, maybe i can assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back