Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail as mail gateway issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafadmin

MIS
Jan 7, 2009
US
I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, but I'm just too dense to see it.

I have a sendmail server set up as a spam gateway for other domains. Right now it will accept all mail addressed to those domains and it is starting to overwhelm the spamassassin processes.

I need sendmail to only accept email if the recepient in those domains actually exists (so fooUSER@firstdomain.com will get refused).

I'm guessing I need a user@domain kind of table but I'm not figuring it out.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Ok, I figured it out. The "access" file".

"REJECT" the domain names then set individual email address within that domain as "OK"

Thanks though!

jafadmin

Another way is to use virtusertable. This is very much like access but gives you a litle more control. Each line take two arguments each argument can be a domain, network address, email address or user name. For each domain you can create a catchall which would look something like this:

@somedomain.com error:nouser This server does not allow spam!

If the email address does not match any of the entries, it will fall through to the catchall which will return the error message you specify. I prefer this way because I use smtpauth and allowing a domain or address in the access file will defeat the purpose.

Thanks RythmAce! I'll try that over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back