Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail and large attatchments

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasminracer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Ok so i've been fighting with an old unixware box for a couple of days now

I need to run a report and mail an attatchment every15 mins

so i've configured sendmail to relay through the exchange box ( thats the only way out through the firewall) that was fun as it doesnt use sendmail.mc

written the sql, written the shell script to piece it all together so when the mail is received it appears as an attatchment rather than in the body

re configured sendmail to let me send large files...

now if i send a small e-mail with a small attatchment it goes almost instantly. so quick i dont have time to see it if i run mailq i can see its gone by looking at syslog.

with a large attatchment ( up to 5000 lines ( by 80 chars) is what i will be sending the mails sit inthe mail queue for at least an hour some longer....

until eventually it goes and i see the entry in syslog.

SO

Any ideas why the delay and what can i do to speed things up ?

cheers

Graham

p.s. on Red hat this all took about 15 mins... so far on uw about 20 hours !!!!

I would try the sendmail forum for this question. It's possible that sendmail is configured to treat emails over a certain size as very low priority or something? I'm guessing.

Annihilannic.

Also, sendmail can be configured to not send mail if the load average goes above a certain value. Have you checked to see if this is happening?

/etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
# load average at which we just queue messages
#O QueueLA=8

# load average at which we refuse connections
#O RefuseLA=12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back