Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending to yahoo mail problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmptrnerd

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2001
US
We installed Exchange 2007 standard and I'm having a strange issue with sending mail to yahoo. The message shows it is sent and I went into message tracking and it shows a 250 recipient ok, but it never makes it to the yahoo mailbox and does not show up in spam mail on yahoo. Has anyone seen this issue?

Mark

Mark

You might try building a unique send connector just for the Yahoo domain and route that mail through a smarthost and see if the behavior is different. I occasionally have to do that for certain domains, usually AOL.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Check your rDNS entry for your domain - Yahoo uses rDNS for spam checking and a lot of companies overlook this.

I'm still not sure why Yahoo was blocking our ip. We had reverse dns setup and I checked with the spamhaus and other places and the ip was not listed as a blocked address.

The problem was that I was depending on the message tracking database and that only shows the first line of the response between server and while the Yahoo mail server was responding with a 250 ok, it was later responding that it was deferring the message. I had to turn on logging for the transport and go thru the logs to get my final answer.

All I can guess is that Yahoo blocked a whole block of IP addresses and after we contacted them with our issue, they opened up our servers IP.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back