Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending Text Messages Internally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepMike

Technical User
Oct 5, 2010
AE
One customer wants a solution that will enable receptionist to send a text message to CEO, without calling him.
Please assist.

Release 11. There is no software in place. Its a green field.

You are probably looking at Absence text

How this works depends on the phones and release. I think in the current R11 you can use Soft Console or Workplace on a PC both of which need licences. Some phones can do this as well

In my opinion you should install Avaya Workplace for the CEO. Using OneX Portal or Avaya Spaces as Messaging Service will give the opportunity to send text messages between the users. It’s bothway so that CEO can answer the messages.

Workplace can be used as Softphone or just as a Call control application.

IP Office remote service
IP Office certificate check
CLI based call blocking
SCN fallback over PSTN

Softconsole AKA receptionist is worth a look if the reception is handling a lot of calls or extensions and has many features.

Workplace is end user client with call control and messaging. You need Preferred edition on the system, plus I recall an Office worker or Power User Licence.

Are you going for Preferred edition to get Voice Mail Pro?

All very confusing but you can get trial licences.

Spaces is a cloud based system with free and paid subscriptions but I can't say much more.

The best solution would be IP Office and leverage Avaya Workplace soft phone on Desktops, and Mobile devices.
This way the reception can see the presence status and also message the CEO without the need to call.

If the business if open to cloud, configuring the messaging engine to use Avaya Spaces is a great option, as it allows messaging off net as well. The remote part just needs a free spaces account, and once you send a direct message from with Spaces Web Portal to the remote party, that remote party will also show up in Avaya Workplaces as well. From that point on, messaging with remote parties can happen from within the soft phone.

If the organization is not open to cloud, then configure IP Office to use One-X Portal as the messaging engine. This will in internal messaging only.

With all the focus on cloud, I would strongly recommend the IP Office with Avaya Spaces approach as it probably going have a longer life span than One-X Portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back