Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending SMS messages from mobile phones to application server

Status
Not open for further replies.

aturetsky

Programmer
Apr 28, 2005
US
I am trying to implement an SMS service which involves receiving SMS's from mobile users in US and process and respond to those messages (though I am less concerned with responding since that can be handled merely by sending emails to the email address associated with the user's mobile account).

I am trying to figure out what the best approach is. From my basic understand, there seem to be two main approaches:

1) Host the hardware: Use a GSM modem with a SIM card connected via Serial cable to the server that will handle the message.
2) Hosting Service: Use an SMS hosting service that will receive the SMS's and send the data to our server in the form of an HTTP request or some other protocol.

Can anyone outline for me what the advantages and drawbacks are of each option and which they would recommend?

Also, after recommending an approach, please recommend a specific application of that approach. In other words, if you suggest hosting the hardware, which hardware would you suggest and which backend software?

If you suggest a hosting service, which would you suggest?
Thank you,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back