Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending Report to Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityLimit

Programmer
Mar 14, 2002
US
I have a need to send a report to an email address. Here's the problem. There is a single standard report that will contain different information depending on the email recipient. I want to generate the reports and then send them all in the same session. The reports don't have to be batched as there is a table of recipients that relates the specific data when the report is being assembled. I just want to be able to say "Go" and the reports are generated and sent. Specifically this is a Purchase Order generation process and it is the purchase order that I am wanting to email. Just looking for anyone who may be doing this or who has see something like this. Thanks to all.

Citylimit

CityLimit,

Yes this is possible, I have replicated a system like this before. It depends alot on which type of email software you are using. Obviously, access is alot more helpful when using Outlook as opposed to Lotus Notes, but still possible with thanks to an add-in library file(cant remember which one though, try searching on the net). You can do it all by logically coding all of the various conditions and using SQL syntax to amend your data queries.

Within Access you can use the SendObject Method to send an email to your default mail system. The problems however with SendObject in your situation are:

1.) Send Object doesn't support filtering a report to only output specific data for the target recipient. You can modify your reports underlying query to supply a filter like a PO # via code. There's a tip on our web site in the Code and design tips area under the reports section showing how to supply parameters via code for reports.

2.) Send Object only outputs either RTF files which may not hold the formatting you want or Snapshot format documents which are MS proprietary image files that can only be read with the (freely) downloadable Snapshot viewer.

If you want to create an automation system you might want to look at our PDF and Mail Library for Access. With it you can output your report (by PO #) to Adobe PDF files using any number of PDF drivers and then mail it using any of the following Mail systems: Outlook, Exchange, Outlook Express, GroupWise or Lotus Notes.

Hope this helps

MVPACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back