Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending Postscript to printer directly, how to get a reply (success, fail?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerowalker

Programmer
Nov 25, 2019
SE
Hi!

I have made a postscript file that i can print successfully on one printer, it messes up on others that don't have the custom page size, one atl east goes into a loop and just prints the cropped page forever for some reason.
But it at least works on the intended printer, but if that rings a bell and there's a fix i would like to hear it, as printing forever isn't that great, i rather just want it to fail.

But now for the actual question.

If i send a postscript file to the printer directly, in this case in Windows, but i am guessing it's generally the same if it's some protocol, how does one now the state of the job?
Currently i just send it and assume it works, it goes via Windows own printer thing, but it's not detecting errors or anything if it fails (the printer failing the postscript for example).
It just sends the data i guess, and if it got sent, it's fine. It doesn't care what the printer does, just that it got sent i think.

I would like to check the job somehow, one alternative would be if the job could be added to the printer queue, cause i guess then it would notify things.
Currently it seems to just bypass everything, which makes sense as i am just writing raw data to the printer.

Help on this would be much appreciated, i am guessing it might be more related to PJL or something though, but as it's Postscript at it's core i will try to ask about it here:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back