Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending Photos To Database via Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

t5amec

Programmer
Aug 14, 2003
GB
I want my users to send photos to my gallery database via email.

eg:-
email: user@domain.com
subject: username
content: photo description
attachment: jpg/gif

sends to gallerysubmission@mywebsite.com

the data will have to be approved, but how would I go about making this happen?

Make Sense? I hope so (-:

Well you'll need a email server, and a server side language (like PHP, ASP, Coldfusion etc..) than can open up the emails in the email server when they arrive, get the contents and stick them in the DB.

Seeing as this really has pretty little to do with MYSQL, I suggest asking this in the forum for the server side language you have access to. That way you can get more detailed answers about how to do this.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Hi

Phil said:
Seeing as this really has pretty little to do with MYSQL, I suggest asking this in the forum for the server side language you have access to.
Certainly correct, this has almost nothing to do with MySQL. But as far as I see, the big question here is not the server-side language, but the way to interfere with the mails.

On Linux systems usually procmail is used to filter the mails and send certain ones to a special destination :
Code:
:0:
* ^TO_gallerysubmission@mywebsite.com
|/path/to/your-mail-processor-application
This way your-mail-processor-application will receive each incoming mail on its standard input, as soon as they arrive.

So first I would check what is available for mail filtering, choosing a language comes only after that.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back