Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending messages from server to clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypot

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
GB
Hello .. Can anyone help? I have a win2k server and want to be able to send out messages from the server to client machines..i cant use email because not all clients have email access.. i would like to be able to send out a message that will appear on the client desktop immediately. How do I do this?
Thank you.

Hi,

From the W2K server, Start, Run, "cmd" this will take you to a Command Prompt. From there type "net send /DOMAIN:(then your domain name) (then the message)" If you have Admin right you can also do this from your workstation.

Hope this helps,

M.

Ok thanx very much :) haven't had chance to try it out yet, but will do when i go back into work on monday...just out of curiosity, does the message have to be enclosed in speech marks or anything? also, is there a space between the domain name and the message? :)
the client machines are mostly 2000 and nt but we do have a few win98 machines too...how will i get it to work on these?
thanx again

Christine

thanx very much..it worked on all the nt and 2k machines...next i'll need to know how to do the same on a 98 pc?? :)

HI!

You can install WINPOPUP on Win98 clients, from
Contrl Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup - System Tools.
Then you can run it minimized from the startup folder.
I haven't tried it but it should comunicate with the other NT/2000 machines.

Bye
Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back