Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

itherd

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
IN
Hi,

I am not much familiar with unix. I have a sco box version is 5.0.6. We are using it as oracle server. Until now we have not used it for mailing internally nor externally. Now if I want to send reports directly from database to external email addresses like to yahoo how can I do this. No additional components or 3rd party softwares (for mail)are installed. Can somebody guide me on this pls.

Thank You PHV,
I will go thru this. Since its a huge document it may take sometime for me to get to the point.

There is a mail client Mutt which can do the job. You will probably have to download and install it.

The mail unix command will work also, see man mail. But I do not think attachments are supported.
Just simply build a string and use the system() function.

syscode is a string object.

syscode.erase();
syscode.append("echo '");
syscode.append(Text);
syscode.append("' | mutt ");

if (Attachment.length() > 0)
{
syscode.append("-a '");
syscode.append(Attachment);
syscode.append("' ");
}

syscode.append("-s '");
syscode.append(Subject);
syscode.append("' ");
syscode.append(EmailList);
sysc = (char *) syscode;
return (system(sysc));

There was also a free utility called "jail" that I found for using unix mail command and sending attachments. Works great, I don't recall where I got it from or who wrote it, but I think it was posted in another thread on this forum before.

Lee

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Do you need to use SCO as the mail server for these report mailings, or do you already have a separate mail server?

It is possible to send e-mails from SCO through an external mail server using sendmail and it's subsidiary programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back