Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending email

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetGnat

Programmer
Mar 10, 2005
IN
Hi Guys,

I have used this below script...
Code:
<script runat="server">    

Sub btnSubmit_Click(sender as object, e as EventArgs)

Dim objEmail as New MailMessage()
		objEmail.To = txtTo.Text
		objEmail.From = txtFrom.Text
		objEmail.Cc = txtCc.Text
		objEmail.Subject = "Test Email"
		objEmail.Body = txtName.Text & ", " &txtComments.Text
		objEmail.Priority = MailPriority.High

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "myservername"

try
			SmtpMail.Send(objEMail)
			Response.Write(Your E-mail has been sent sucessfully - Thank You)

catch exc as Exception
			Response.Write("Send failure: " + exc.ToString())
		End Try
    End Sub
</script>

and i am bounced back with this error:
Code:
Send failure: System.Web.HttpException: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server. --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) at System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) at System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) at System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) at ASP.Email_ascx.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot\MyTemplate\Email.ascx:line[/URL] 19

Any ideas? Actually we use exchange server in our company for sending emails and i am not sure whether we use SMTP server or not...how do i find out?

Thanks

-DNG

you more than likely do...ask your exchange administrator...I'd use your SMTP IP Address as well...

also...i would use this to catch your email errors...
Code:
Catch ex As Exception
  Dim e As New Exception
  e = ex
  Do While Not e Is Nothing
   Current.Response.Write("<hr>")
   Current.Response.Write("<li><b>Message:</b> " & e.Message)
   e = e.InnerException
  Loop
  Current.Response.End()
 End Try

"...we both know I'm training to become a cagefighter...see what happens if you try 'n hit me..."

Thanks for the reply. So how do i change my code to reflect both SMTPServer Name and SMTPServer IP address...Also thanks for that error exception catch code...

-DNG

instead of this...

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "myservername"

use

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "111.11.11.1"

"...we both know I'm training to become a cagefighter...see what happens if you try 'n hit me..."

How can I send email to more them 1 person at the same time. I need a code to send email to 3 different groups.

Thanks

Bilal

objEmail.To = txtTo.Text & ";" & group2@xxx.com & ";" & group3@xxx.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back