Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending email through WinGate or MS Proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjh

ISP
Dec 24, 1999
CN
Everyone,here is a question for you:<br>
I'v set a LAN ,all PC connect to Internet through a proxy<br>
server(NT4.0) .It can work normally when just browsing .<br>
But it cannot send&receive local ISP's account email . It<br>
is said that MS proxy server don't provide this function.<br>
So if I really need this service and change to WinGate,do I <br>
need a plug-in software for them ? WHere can I download those ?<br>
<br>
Thanks a lot

hi fjh<br>
you need a mail proxy if you want to forward e-mails to a workstation on the lan<br>
if you go to <br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">and check through the list some are freeware and shareware others are time limited<br>
i use vpop it gives 5 user accounts as freeware and it works as a service under nt and it will talk to outlook express clients with no probs<br>
hope this helps<br>
happy new year<br>
martin

I have had great success in getting clients that are on the &quot;internal&quot; network, to get mail from a POP3 server on the internet throught Microsoft Proxy. Just make sure you clients are using the Winsock Proxy. What this does is over writes the clients Winsock API with a Proxy enabled one. This enables applications that do not supply a, &quot;access this service through a proxy box&quot; i.e., Mail Clients, the ability to go though the proxy to get the mail.<br>
<br>
Let me know if you have already tried this, or if this helps you out. <p>Michael Sauer<br><a href=mailto:msauer@tir.com>msauer@tir.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Indi... The only way to go for Men of the Mind and Ability."

I've seen this error in outlook, but if you use outlook express and specify the isp's pop server, and your own smtp server it should work. I'm going to check out some shareware programs like orinoco says, though:)

For MS Proxy install the proxy client on the workstation activate it (from the control panel) an there should be no problem. Ensure that in MS Proxy on the server that you are aware how clients connect ie via computer name or IP and make sure the client is configure the same way. You will be able to sent and receive mail without any difficulty

I had this same problem with WinRoute. The answer was simple. I had to make a DNS entry for both the Mail.*.* & SMTP.*.*. Then I directed my workstations to the DNS that WinRoute provides natively. Worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back