Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending email from filemaker 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

millymythyahoocom

Programmer
Jul 1, 2001
US
Hi,
I would like to send email to a set of found records.
i have no idea how to do this .
If anyone has the time
please tell me all the steps .
Assume please that i have done nothing except install FMP5
thanks
milly

Hi,
In continuation of my previous request ,
i dont want to use plug-ins like smtp-it or mail-it.
Please help, i want to do it as is.
many thanks
milly

On the PC side, if you have Outlook or Outlook Express, its in the scripting. There's a script called Send Mail. This script step will send the email to the xx field, with xy as the body, etc.etc.

I think Eudora or Netscape mail will work as well. On the Mac side, umm, dunno what still accepts the command. You would probrably have to do the openURL command to fire up the default mail app w/ a mailto: command.

You set up the script like all other scripts and for the default values in the FM script you have to put in your actual field names.

If you don't understand FM scripting, just play with it. It's the easiest way to learn.

So, for instance, if you have a field-emailaddr and a field-body, you would put emailaddr into the TO: field value and the body into the Message field value when you set up the script, and then you activate the script via ...whatever you pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back